Sunday, November 9, 2008

Of Time and the City



Last Thursday I saw the documentary Of Time and the City from the director Terrence Davies. The movie shows images of old and new Liverpool while the director tells stories of his growing up in that context. For me the movie was like a movie-concert. His strong, enigmatic voice, combined with the excellent soundtrack, works like a melody…. What happened to me in this movie was a rare phenomenon that only exists when the movies have a strong poetic message in the text or in the images… I just started to fly into my conscious… I was there, but at the same time I was in many different places… Like Terrence Davies, I visited places of my childhood, I remembered my nights out with my friends and the most important thing: trough the images of children and elders I met with the people I love…
This phenomenon can be understood as a barrier to a total perception of the movie, but in my perspective: it were the “flying away moments” that made the movie such a good experience to me… That’s why I liked it so much…

Question of the day:

Most of the images used in Of Time and the City are archive footages. Understanding that the shooting is a very important part of a director’s vision; can movies like this be catalogue as a different type of documentary?

1 comment:

piccini said...

Great start Raquel! Be interesting to see you writing about specific sequences - to think about the specific qualities of structure, sound, camera-work, editing. Then you can begin to consider how the practice of filmmaking produces certain effects.